Nhiều bạn thắc mắc nên sử dụng từ vựng formal hay informal trong IELTS Speaking? Sử dụng quá nhiều từ vựng formal trong bài nói chính là sai lầm “chết người” trong IELTS Speaking, chúng ta chỉ nên sử dụng vài từ vựng mang tính trang trọng trong suốt phần thi nói để vì IELTS Speaking kiểm tra khả năng giao tiếp thông thường nên hãy sử dụng từ ngữ thông dụng, idioms, thậm chí là một vài slang phổ biến.
Hôm nay NGOC ANH IELTS tiếp tục gửi đến các bạn các cụm từ rất hay và hữu ích trong một chủ đề khá quen thuộc: Town and City. Các bạn hãy học các từ sau và áp dụng sao cho hợp lý với bài nói của mình nhé!
Một số danh từ/cụm danh từ
- Residential area (n): an area where people live – khu dân cư
E.g: I live in a residential area of a busy town in the south of this Asian country.
- Public transport (n): public vehicles such as buses and trains that operate at regular times on fixed routes – giao thông công cộng
- Shopping centre (n): an area consisting of multiple shops – trung tâm mua sắm
E.g: We all have good facilities in the town such as public transport or shopping centre.
- Lively bars and restaurants (n.p): bars or restaurants with a good atmosphere – hàng quán nhộn nhịp
E.g: Here are lots of lively bars and restaurants within walking distance of my apartment.
- Inner-city (n): the central part of a city where people live and where conditions are often poor – trong thành phố
E.g: I live in the inner-city.
- High-rise flat (n): multi-story apartments – chung cư cao tầng
E.g: it’s basically a lot of high-rise flats and many of the shops
- Sprawling city (compound noun): a city that has grown over time and which covers a wide area – thành phố rộng lớn
E.g: It’s not what you would call a sprawling city but the scenes are so picturesque.
- Upmarket shops (n): expensive fashionable shops – các cửa hàng thời trang đắt đỏ
E.g: You have the upmarket shops in the centre to buy all goods you want.
- Chain stores (n): well-known brands with shops in multiple cities – chuỗi cửa hàng
E.g: You’ll find lots of chain stores you’ll recognize from your own country but also local brands as well.
- Fashionable boutiques (n): fashionable clothes shops – cửa hàng thời trang
E.g: We have the narrow streets in the Gothic district with lots of fashionable boutiques
- City centre (n): The central part or main business and commercial area of a city – trung tâm thành phố
E.g: Parks and squares in the city centre which are available to anyone to come.
- Pavement cafes (n): cafes with tables outside on the pavement – quán café vỉa hè
E.g: Pavement cafes are everywhere where people often have a cup of milk coffee in every morning.
- Poor housing (n): housing that is not in good condition – nơi ở nghèo nàn
E.g: Place where I live now has the poor housing with the outmoded equipment.
- Traffic congestion/traffic jam (n): heavy traffic making it difficult to move around a town or city – tắc đường
E.g: In the big cities, traffic congestion in rush hour happens every day.
- Rush hour (n): A time during each day when traffic is at its heaviest – giờ cao điểm
E.g: try to avoid travelling in the rush hour.
- The rat race (n): A way of life in which people are caught up in a fiercely competitive struggle for wealth or power – lối sống xô bồ
E.g: They quit the rat race in order to live a simple life.
- Detached/terraced house (n): A house built as part of a continuous row in a uniform style – nhà liền kề
E.g: my first house was a small terraced house in China.
- Tourist destination (n): Place where attracts tourists – nơi thu hút khác du lịch
E.g: There are many tourist destinations which appeal to any tourists come here.
Một số tính từ
- Run-down (adj): old and of a poor standard – xuống cấp
E.g: The area is a littlerun down because it does not have the good facilities to live in.
- To be on the outskirts of/ in the suburbs of (adj): the outer area of large towns and cities where people live – ở vùng ngoại ô
E.g: It is on the outskirts of the city so people can relax with their friends and family.
- To be out-of-town (adj): outside of the town or city – ngoài thành phố
E.g: The growth in out-of-town supermarkets and retail parks mean lots of town centre shops are closing down.
- Idyllic/ quiet/tranquil/peaceful (adj): peaceful, or picturesque – yên bình
E.g: An attractive hotel in an idyllic setting.
- Well-equipped/furnished (adj): Supplied with all the necessary equipment – được trang bị đầy đủ
E.g: A well-equipped kitchen is my dream to become a chef.
- Spacious (adj): Having ample space – rộng rãi
E.g: The hotel has a spacious lounge and TV room.
- Cramped (adj): Suffering from cramp – chật chội
E.g: The big cities are so cramped that sometimes I feel like I can’t breathe.
- Overcrowded (adj): Filled beyond what is comfortable, safe, or permissible – quá đông đúc
E.g: The population in the cities is overcrowded, which leads to poor housing.
- Scattered (adj): Distracted or disorganized – thưa thớt, rải rác
E.g: With so much on her plate, however, she can be a bit scattered.
- Cosmopolitan (adj): Including people from many different countries – hỗn tạp
E.g: immigration transformed the city into a cosmopolitan metropolis.
- To be in the middle of (adj): In the centre – ở giữa
E.g: My hometown is in the middle of this big country.
- To be within a walking distance of (adj): Tobe close – gần
E.g: It is just within a walking distance of the shops where I can buy many luxury goods.
- Hustling/ lively/ vibrant (adj): Full of energy and life – nhộn nhịp
E.g: My hometown is becoming more and more vibrant thanks to new bars and clubs for young people.
Một số động từ
- To get around (v): to travel around – đi lòng vòng
E.g: As we have a fantastic public transport system so it’s easy to get around
- To close down (v): to stop doing business – ngưng hoạt động
E.g: Many pubs in the local area is closed down because it is much cheaper to buy alcohol in the supermarket than drink in a pub.
- To rent an accommodation (v): Pay someone for the use of house – thuê nhà
E.g: I need to rent an accommodation now because I just leave my job.
Vậy là NGOC ANH IELTS đã gửi đến các bạn một số cụm từ hữu ích thuộc chủ đề Town and City rồi. Dù đây là chủ đề không lớn nhưng cũng rất hay được hỏi đấy.
Chúc các bạn học tốt nhé!