Một trong những điểm tạo nên sự khác biệt giữa những người Anh bản xứ và những người học tiếng đó là sự sử dụng chính xác các ‘idioms’. Trong phần thi Nói của IELTS, việc dùng thành ngữ có thể gây ấn tượng lớn cho giám khảo, từ đó nâng cao điểm số của bạn; tuy vây, nếu không nắm chắc cách sử dụng từng thành ngữ, kết quả sẽ ngược lại.
Hôm nay NGOC ANH IELTS xin giới thiệu với các bạn một số thành ngữ quen thuộc và thường xuyên được sử dụng nhất trong bài thi Nói IELTS nhé!
- Over the moon– to be extremely pleased or happy.
Ex: I was over the moon when I passed my speaking test.
2. Once in a blue moon– happens very rarely.
Ex: A student will get a 9 in the IELTS writing test once in a blue moon.
3. A piece of cake– very easy.
Ex: Getting a band 6 in the speaking test will be a piece of cake.
4. A drop in the ocean– a very small part of something much bigger.
Ex: Just learning idioms is a drop in the ocean when it comes to preparing for the speaking test.
5. Actions speak louder than words– it is better to actually do something than just talk about it.
Ex: Lots of people have great business ideas but do nothing about them. Actions speak louder than words, just do it.
6. Back to the drawing board– when you attempted to do something but failed and have to try again.
Ex: I got 4.5 in reading! Oh well, back to the drawing board.
7. Put all your eggs in one basket- put all your money or effort into one thing.
Ex: Don’t put all your eggs in one basket. You should apply to lots of different universities.
8. The in thing– something fashionable.
Ex: The new iPhone is really the in thing at the moment.
9. The real McCoy– genuine or not fake.
Ex: I don’t think her new handbag is the real McCoy.
10. Off the top of my head– saying something without thinking first.
Ex: Off the top of my head, I’d say about 2 or 3.
11. Run of the mill– average, ordinary
Ex: Apple phones are very run of the mill these days.
12. Soul mate– someone you trust very deeply.
Ex: My husband is not just my lover, he’s my soul mate.
13. Down in the dumps– sad.
Ex: I was really down in the dumps after my dog died.
14. Found my feet– to become comfortable doing something.
Ex: Moving to a new city was difficult as first, but I soon found my feet.
15. Set in their ways– not wanting to change.
Ex: My parents are quite traditional and set in their ways.
16. Go the extra mile– do much more than is required.
Ex: I decided to go the extra mile and move to England to really perfect my English.
17. A hot potato– a controversial topic.
Ex: Abortion and capital punishment are hot potatoes in my country at the moment.
18. Miss the boat– miss an opportunity.
Ex: I sent my application in late and I think I missed the boat.
19: Costs an arm and a leg– really expensive.
Ex: Those shoes must have cost an arm and a leg.
20: Sit on the fence– to be undecided.
Ex: I haven’t made my mind up about that issue, I’ll have to sit on the fence.
Các bạn đừng quên tham khảo những bài học hay của NGOC ANH IELTS nhé !